Headlines – 7/16/2004

Published 12:00 am Friday, July 16, 2004

Panolian Headlines: July 16, 2004

For complete stories, pick up the 7/16/04  issue of The Panolian

Sardis Mayor Refuses Talk of Annexation
By Jason C. Mattox
News Editor
editor@panolian.com

Despite a packed board room of citizens wanting to discuss the proposed annexation by the City of Sardis, the matter received only a few minutes of discussion.

Annexation was the first matter the city brought up during the meeting of the Board of Aldermen on Tuesday night.

"How may of you are here to discuss annexation," Mayor Richard Darby asked.

When over half the people in attendance raised their hands, Darby responded by telling them they would not be heard.

Darby did say during the meeting that he knew several called asking to be on the agenda to discuss the matter, but they were denied.

"You will not be able to speak on the topic," he said. "But City Attorney Tommy Shuler is going to tell you what is going on with the annexation."

Shuler explained that the city had adopted an ordinance to annex back in the fall.

"Once the city adopted that ordinance, a law suit was filed in Chancery Court," he said. "Depending on the judge’s ruling, the annexation would have to go to the U.S. Department of Justice for final approval."

Shuler told the crowd that the original annexation area had been scaled back and said if anyone had a concern about the issue they should be present at the court hearing.
    

Wreck Victim Wants ‘Normal Life’
By Jason C. Mattox
News Editor

editor@panolian.com

A Panola County man who thought he would be a quadriplegic for the rest of his days now has a brighter outlook on life – including a desire, and chance, to walk again.

During early morning hours of Dec. 13, 2003, Jason Spivey and friend Allen Mooney were on their way to Mooney’s residence when the sleet and slush blanketing the intersection of Highway 6 and Blackjack Road caused Spivey’s 1987 Camaro to leave the road.

"It was icy and wet that night and the car hydroplaned," Spivey said.

According to Spivey, the car plunged into a nearby ravine leaving both driver and passenger trapped in the vehicle.

Mooney, who had his cell phone, called 911 and reported the emergency.

"Allen is the one who kept me alert," Spivey said. "He kept me awake and kept me from choking on my blood."

Mooney was treated for minor injuries at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford and released.

The impact of the crash left Spivey with a broken neck and a crushed left leg.

Although the WINGS unit from The Med was dispatched and arrived at the accident scene, it was unable to land due to the weather.

Spivey was transported to Baptist in Oxford where doctors worked to stop bleeding and stabilize him while waiting for a break in the weather that could allow him to be transported to The Med.

Spivey spent a total of nine weeks at The Med including the first four weeks in a medically-induced coma.

"The first thing that came into my mind when I woke up was ‘Where am I?’" he said. "I really had no idea what had happened to me and I didn’t know how bad it was."

Spivey said to this day he does not fully remember what happened at the time of the accident.

"I remember I was driving Allen home, but the rest of it is a complete blank," he said. "All I know is what people have told me about it."

At the time Spivey awoke from the coma, he was paralyzed from the neck down and wondered if he would ever regain the feeling he had lost.

"It was really scary when I first woke up," he said. "But I realized I was really lucky to be alive."
    

 
   

Fired Up
The Batesville Fire Department had "Fire Academy for Kids" this week at fire station #3. They showed different techniques that firefighters often use during a fire. The academy lasted a full week.

The Jr. Auxiliary sponsored this event and also helped the firefighters with the children. Tuesday’s paper will have an update on the academy with pictures of their graduation.
    

Contractor Ordered
to Pay Bill from City
      West Submits Invoice to Aldermen
      for Services Rendered
By Jason C. Mattox
News Editor

editor@panolian.com

A Sardis man appeared before city leaders for the second time in as many months protesting bills he received.

Nolan West, owner of W & W Contractors, had his bill for dumping in the city landfill dismissed by the Board of Aldermen last month, but, thanks to a veto by Mayor Richard Darby, was again on the hook for materials dumped while cleaning up behind the old Liberty Supermarket building.

Recently retired public works supervisor Billy Smith told the board it was a mistake by his department to allow him to dump in the rubbish landfill.

"I was wrong," Smith said. "We never should have allowed him to dump."

West stood by his statement that he was never aware he would have to pay until he received a bill from the city.

"What I don’t understand is why citizens of Sardis should have to pay to use the city’s landfill," he said.

West then wanted to know how the rates for dumping in the landfill were set.

Smith said there is no set rate for dumping in the landfill.

"We take a look at the truckloads that go into the landfill and estimate how many yards they will need," he said.

West was charged $120 per load for dumping.

"The big problem is that nobody at City Hall told us what the rate was per load," he said. "If you have published water and sewer rates, why do you not have published dumping rates?"