Sports / Outdoors – 10/7/2003

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, October 7, 2003

Panolian Sports Headlines: October 7, 2003

For complete stories,
pick up the 10/07/03  issue of The Panolian


SP holds off tough OB team
South Panola’s Willie Oliver, No. 62, threw an instrumental block to help Derek Pegues (back, r) score on a 32-yard run against Olive Branch Friday night. The Tigers won 38-10 and head to Columbus this Friday night for a 7:30 p.m. game.

The Olive Branch Conquistadors were all they were cracked up to be, but the South Panola Tigers were better as they downed the Quistors 38-10 last Friday night.

Senior Tiffany McKinney was crowned the Homecoming Queen during halftime festivities.

This also marked head coach Ricky Woods 150th career win.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Associated Press Poll No. 1 Tigers (6-0 overall, 2-0 district) have now scored 315 points this year and allowed only 47 points. The Tigers remain in the No. 2 spot in The Clarion-Ledger Super 10 poll behind Wayne County (6-0) who defeated Salmen, La. , 41-14, Friday night.

The No. 1 South Panola Tigers (5-0 overall, 1-0 district) proved why they have that ranking as they downed the Horn Lake Eagles 52-6 last Friday night.

The Tigers were again led in yardage by quarterback Derek Pegues with 123 yards on 15 carries and three touchdowns. Tailback Marcus Griffin followed with 131 yards on 10 carries and one touchdown.

Also scoring for the Tigers was Rickey Sanford with one touchdown.

Even the Tiger defense got into the scoring game, when Demetrice Bishop recovered a Quistor fumble in the endzone.

There was some obvious tension on the field between these two teams as Olive Branch fielded a much better team than in years past.

The Tigers took the opening kickoff and three plays later, Griffin broke to the right after a pitch from Pegues and scored on a 78-yard touchdown run with only a minute and a half ticked off the clock.

NP takes big game from Lions


On Friday, Oct. 3, the North Panola Cougars traveled to Rosa Fort to take on the Lions. It was the Lions’ Homecoming and the last thing on their minds was losing to an old rival team.

The Rosa Fort Lions came into the game being led by the Cougar’s former head and assistant coaches, Clifton Davis and Glen Newson.

The Cougars scored first on a 35-yard touchdown reception by Dexter Thomas. A.J. Johnson tacked on the extra point to make it a 7-0 score. Moments later the Lions came back with a double reverse in which they walked into the end zone, almost untouched but missed extra point and the score stood 7-6.

The score would not change until midway through the second quarter when the Lions caught the Cougars sleeping on a halfback pass. The Lions missed the two-point conversion which left the score 12-7 at halftime.

The Cougars started the third quarter explosively on offense and defense. The Cougars drove the ball downfield and Glover ran it in the end zone with a quarterback sneak from the three-yard line.

Johnson missed the extra point.

Neither team’s offense would score again throughout the game. Each team’s defense would hold the offense at a standstill.

The only other points scored in the game was when Cougar Jarell Lantern returned a punt return in the middle of the fourth quarter. The Cougars once again missed the extra point.

The Cougars pounded out 198 total yards for the night, 125 on the ground, 73 in the air.


Green Wave dominates Bayou


North Delta’s Dustin Maples scored three touchdowns to lead the Green Wave to a 40-14 win over Bayou Academy, Friday night.

The Green Wave (3-3 overall, 2-1 district) traveled to take on this district foe in what was a very important game in the district and the Green Wave only have two district games left to play.

North Delta struck first on a 65 yard run by Dustin Maples into the endzone on the first offensive play of the game for the Green Wave. The extra point kick by Pittman Harrison was good. The Colts started the next play on their own 29 yard line because Clint Egbert stopped them.

The Colts had three penalties back to back on the next few plays and had to punt the ball with 6:20 left on the clock. The Green Wave struck again in the first quarter, when Forrest Wilbanks scored on a keeper for a touchdown with 4:40 left in the first quarter. The Green Wave lead 14-0 when Harrison’s kick was good.
The Colts had a hard time getting the ball down the field on their next possession because the Green Wave defense stepped up really big. Rocky Reed and Hal West stopped the Colts to make them punt again. The Green Wave took over 1st and 10 on their own 40 yard line. With 1:46 on the clock, Maples ran the ball about 60 yards into the endzone and the touchdown was called back due to a holding penalty by the Green Wave to end the first quarter.


Win 150
South Panola’s head football coach Ricky Woods (second from l) was presented a plaque by linebacker Jamarca Sanford (far, r) for coaching his 150th career win Friday night.

Celebrating with Woods is his wife Susan and WBLE sideline commentator Stan Sherwood. While at South Panola, Woods holds a 20-1 record as of Friday night.

Referee Notes by William Corerro
Arkansas and thunderstorm in Alabama made for interesting game

My usual wish for any game actually happened last weekend.

I always hope for an interesting game with at least six or seven over time periods.

Arkansas at Alabama was decided after only two but it was more than interesting to say the least. It looked like a bright day full of sunshine all the way until 15 minutes before the scheduled kickoff time of 2:34 p.m. CDT.

CBS always has its people in each tunnel with the teams to run them out at the right time for TV and just as they were ready to send the teams running out, I saw some lightning in the dark clouds that were rapidly approaching.

Then Penn Wagers, our referee, stepped out and made the announcement that the teams are being sent back to their locker rooms due to the lightning in the area.

The stadium management people had already made an announcement that the area was under a thunderstorm warning for about the next 45 minutes. Clearing the field and delaying the game, not to mention CBS and their national network schedule is not something that is done lightly.

It was in an Ole Miss at Alabama game back in the mid-90’s when a TV cameraman was struck by lightning and ended up suing everyone from the NCAA and SEC to the Referee. He (the cameraman) lived but there’s just another reason for being cautious.

There are basic guidelines in both the NCAA rulebook and the SEC Game Management manual that we all have. The concern is not for rain but for the danger of any associated lightning.

We have no control over the spectators in the stadium and that is left up to game management. As long as they let everyone know what is up they are covered.

The basic guideline is that if lightning is seen and then the thunder is heard within 30 seconds, clear the field. If the flash to bang time is less than 30 seconds, shut it down.

Then the procedure is to wait at least 30 minutes after the last seen lightning before allowing the game to continue. It is basically a conservative method and is a good rule of thumb to remember for any outdoor activity.

I was explaining to the producers what was going on but they were sending Arkansas out anyway. Then as we stopped the team on the field and sent them back, CBS understood we were serious.

I explained the previous drill to them and then told them I was going to stay with the referee and game management people and would let them know what was going on as soon as possible.

Then all that could be heard on the headsets was the producers telling Vern and Todd to fill with anything on delays while they went back to New York for some updates.

I took sideline reporter Jill Arrington, their sideline producer and cameraman with me to the Alabama tunnel where the referee was at that time so they could talk to him. Penn had a lot on him at that point but I did remind him to smile pretty for television.

The stadium management people have representatives in the press box from the National Weather Service for just such a situation and they were talking to the people watching the area radar. We watched the skies for lightning and when a nearby bolt was seen, the time was noted.

Finally the last lightning was seen, the NWS people said it was all moving out with nothing behind it but clear skies.

Then it was time to start notifying both coaches, the rest of the officials and CBS of when the teams were to come back out. Typically, both are given 15 minutes to warm up after such an occurrence but both coaches agreed to shorten that to 12 (CBS had nothing to do with that decision, by the way).

We walked the captains for the toss and got it all going with a total delay of one hour and four minutes. And it proceeded to be a great game.
I had told the CBS people before the game I figured at least six overtimes and as we were getting ready for both, I made sure they remembered my prediction.

I don’t ever say anything much about the game before it starts other than I hope it’s a good one but this time I did make it known I thought it was looking like a strange day at Bama and there would be overtime.

As Arkansas was getting ready to kick the game-winning field goal in the second overtime, the sideline producer and Jill both laughed and told me I was right.

What more could I say?……See you next week.