An ambulance service told the Panola County Board of Supervisors they are facing an emergency.
Billy Williams of Emergystat Ambulance Service told the supervisors Monday the problems pertain to the service’s current location.
"What this all boils down to is we are going to have to find somewhere else to move into," Williams said. The reason for the move is a leaky hot water heater. The appliance had started leaking causing mold to form and wet spots on the downstairs ceiling.
"The mold build-up was causing people to develop respiratory infections," he said. "So we had to move."
Williams said OSHA has been called regarding the problems and were required to vacate the location.
The service is currently operating out of a motel near the old North Panola Hospital.
"We were told we could move into Dr. Smoot’s old office," Williams said.
Williams said upon inspection of the doctor’s office, it was determined there is also a mold problem present.
"The mold was just as bad, so we would be going from one bad situation into another," he said.
The supervisors told Williams they were not sure if the contract between the county and Emergystat required the county to provide a facility.
Chancery Clerk Sally Fisher retrieved the contract from the board minutes and County Attorney William McKenzie said, at a glance, the county was not responsible for facilitating the service.
"The contract states the county will pay $75,000 annually for the ambulance service in the North Panola Hospital District, but it says nothing about finding housing for the service," he said. "But I will look into this further to make sure I am not missing something."