Gameday: North Delta @ West Memphis

Published 12:00 am Monday, August 22, 2016

In the recent North Delta jamboree, Luke Noah (No. 6) upends a Lee Academy runner. The Green Wave kicks off the season tonight on the road at West Memphis Christian at 7 p.m. The Panolian photo by Glennie Pou

ND opens season against improved Black Knights

By Will Dickins
Football is finally here. North Delta looks to start the season similar to last year with a win over the West Memphis Christian Black Knights. Last year the Green Wave handed the Black Knights a 54-7 beating to start the season.  
Fans might be hoping for a similar showing, but this year North Delta head coach Brandon Ciaramitaro expects West Memphis to be more competitive with an extra year under their system that includes the triple option, outside runs, and short passes such as bubble screens and bootlegs out of the spread.  
North Delta’s defense looks to stay disciplined and seal the edges.
“We have to play disciplined defense. We have to play with the football in front of us instead of chasing it side to side. If we do those things, we will be just fine. The line will have to be aggressive because we are not as big as them. If that happens, our linebackers will have a good day by preventing them from getting outside,” said Ciaramitaro.  
“They run a tricky offense with motions and primarily run with a mixture of short passes,” he added.  “They run around 70 percent of the time with that leaving 30 percent passing.”  
The Green Wave must stop the run to seal the first win of the season. Expect a big game out of the Green Wave linebackers, Jones Montgomery and Luke Noah, according to Ciaramitaro.  
On defense, West Memphis runs out a 4-3 formation, which is four down linemen and three linebackers.  They usually run a cover four behind that.  
Coach Ciaramitaro said, “Their defensive philosophy is to stop the run. The offensive linemen will have to adjust to their aggressive linebackers.“  
With a defense that relies on stopping the run, that opens up things through the air.  
Enter Will Kidder.
The offense will rely on Kidder to distribute the ball from the quarterback position in an “efficient manner.” Tyler Holland had two touchdown catches in the Jamboree and is looking to have a big game.
“Expect a big game from Kidder and Kaleb Joyner in the back field as well,” Ciaramirator said.  
He expects the team to be prepared and is ready to see how ready his team is after two scrimmages and a jamboree.  
“It will definitely get better as the game goes on with it being the first game.  We should be able to go out and run what we have practiced.  I am excited,” he said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox